Thursday 10 January 2013

The Glass Knot - inspiration for locations!

Today I thought I'd share with you a little of the location inspiration I had for The Glass Knot.


Blurb


What’s a girl to do when the guy she falls for is married to another man?

This is exactly what happened to me. Seeing Josh Kendal stroll out of the Mediterranean Sea wearing tight navy swim trunks and looking like a hot new James Bond was a truly delicious moment. Catching sight of his wedding ring was like a kick in the shin and meeting his gorgeous husband, phew, that was enough to make any girl groan at the cruel joke God was playing on her.

But all was not as it seemed, and when Josh needed a woman to sort out a ‘delicate predicament’ I was the one for the job – heck, what did I have to lose? Certainly not as much as him, literally.

Trouble is, emotions always get tangled, loyalties can’t help but be divided and with a night of memories so hot they'd have the devil sweating, there was only one thing for it—it was time to get honest, fight for what I wanted despite society’s constraints and open my heart to the people it needed most.




This menage novel is set mainly in the Costwolds, one of the most beautiful parts of the UK.

However, the prologue is based amongst the ritz and glamour of fabulous Marbella, Spain. I adore Marbella and have visited many times. The beachfront is lively and crammed with expensive yachts, the old town full of secreted away tapas bars and the 5* hotels are opulent and luxurious and make you feel like a superstar!






The story moves to London which is where Laura, the heroine, lives. London was my home for a few years and I always get a thrill when I visit friends there. I never tire of being a tourist and enjoying the main sights and also just kicking back in one of the many traditional pubs for a night of catching up with mates and people watching - The Sherlock Holmes is an old haunt of mine!





The story then progresses to the Cotswolds. I wanted to portray Josh and Nick as having a perfect life so I dreamed them up a beautiful thatched cottage called Barn View, complete with inglenook fireplaces, beamed ceilings and an orchard in the back garden. (If you've read the book you will know why the rug in front of the fire is so worn!)






The Cotwolds are stunning winter and summer, here are a few summery pictures, I can almost smell the wild flowers. 








Reviews for The Glass Knot

"This book is a must read! I loved this story from start to finish.  All characters had a strong strength sense of themselves and this story surprised even me, because I read a lot of M/M/F books and after I read it, I wanted to read it again and again! Pick this book up, you won't be disappointed!"

"Another excellent book by Lily Harlem."

"This is honestly one of the best books I've ever read and I have read well over a hundred erotic/erotica books. It was so well written. I truly cared for these characters and, for once, I could actually see this happening in the real world. It was sweet and touching while still having seriously hot love scenes."

“I'm not even done & I'm in love with this book. I can tell it's going to be a favorite re-read. Lily has a way of writing that is so engaging, raw & real.”

“This is one of the hottest books I've read this summer. The characters are brilliantly described, the storyline intriguing and the dirty bits? Well, they are everything you expect from Ms Harlem and more. The M/F and M/M combinations got my mind ticking and my <ahem> juices flowing! If you're looking for a smokin' read, this is it. I want this book on my kindle for ever!”

“This book is superb. I loved the emotions. Sigh. It's beautiful.”




It's great fun deciding on a location for my stories, and I nearly always use somewhere I've actually visited. I'm very fortunate to have travelled a lot with Mr Harlem, though the Cotswolds, somewhere I've spent many happy times, comes up in two other books of mine, Dessert and Cold Nights, Hot Bodies, though the later is the opposite to the pictures you see above - all snow and drifts and impassable roads, meaning the couple have no choice but to stay in and get creative in ways which to stay warm and cosy! - It makes me realise that this part of the world is very dear to my heart and certainly somewhere I feel very much at home.





Thanks so much for reading, feel free to leave a comment telling me about your favourite locations not just for novels but also for real life visits.

Lily x

No comments:

Post a Comment